This has been a recurring meal in my house and for good reason – it’s DELICIOUS! Aside from that – it’s affordable, simple and Jack loves it too.
I’m all about making things that both Jack and I can enjoy, because I simply don’t have time to make multiple things, and who knows with a 14 month old temperament.
I kind of created this recipe on my own from scratch but will give you ideas for substitutions or different ways that you can jazz this up!
I never really go off of specific measurements, although I probably should to make sharing easier – but I like to color outside of the lines and hope you will too!
Here are the Ingredients That I Used:
- 1 Cup Green Lentils
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Celery Stalks
- 1 Shallot
- 2 Garlic Gloves
- Bay Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 Cups Beef Stock
Here are my Tools & Accessories:
- Le Creuset Signature Case-Iron Braiser
- Immersion Blender
- Mason Jars to store legumes, grains and pastas
- I diced up all of the produce (try to dice in similar sizes for even cooking)
- Saute produce in Olive Oil
- Add tomato paste until fragrant and blended in
- Add beef stock, lentils & herbs
- Simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are cooked through
- Optional – use immersion blender to blend 1/3 or 2/3 of soup (for your desired consistency). This step will help give you that thick yummy soup!
- Render out some bacon or pancetta as a first step to give your soup a savory/salty bite.
- Add a parmesan cheese rind and let it simmer with the soup
- Add parmesan or pecorino cheese to garnish
- Garnish with fresh herbs
- Use vegetable stock for a vegetarian meal
- Add various other vegetables like onion, zucchini etc to change things up or simply have what you like!